Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Hairstory



So I read a blog on Mane and Chic and totally loved it! Hair is such and important thing to a woman. You can have the cutest outfit on in the world and your hair look a mess and you can't get your swag together. Matter of fact you can end up just looking a mess. I know for me when my hair is a mess or isn't what I want it to be, I have a cloud over my day. No matter how great the day is something is draining me.

My Hairstory

I grew up with extensions in my hair. My hair was always somewhat thin and my aunt just loved spending time learning new styles and trying them out on me. I mean I even remember a picture from when I was about 6 years old with braids. Majority of my school pictures, I had braids. I loved them.

Then came the "Hawaiian Silky" treatment my granny talked me into. Now... I was bamboozled. I wanted hair with the big waves and flowing. Not juicy... just "good hair". Well... it was a Jerhi curl to be real. I remember times when I would be on the bus and lean on the window and leave behind my juice. Totally not pleased. I had that for a few years and then it had to go. (it may not have even been that long). I do believe this came after my first perm... and all I remember about my first perm is that I wore my hair half up half down.

Back to braids and then I started wearing my hair out. It was actually very healthy. I got it done at the shop and it was nice. I think the lack of creativity and the longing to have hair like those with lighter complexions kept me from being pleased. I also wanted my hair to be long. *stomping feet* Long long long.

Then college. I had mom do the longest braids ever. lol. I have to look back on pictures. Long too. I had those for a while, then I remember taking them out and pressing my hair. I had a friend of mine press my hair for me in the dorm. Hair was nice and flowy, I loved it... then... I washed it and had her press it. It wasn't completely dry. The next morning I looked at my hair and I had orangish spikes that were less than an inch long. I DIED. Like... what the heck do you do to your hair. I was upset... I'm sure I cried. Then, like I always do, I rolled on. I went to Oasis salon and had it chopped off. Shaved in the back. I think I nearly died in the chair because I vowed to never get my hair cut that short.




When I had it short I LOOOOOOOVED it. It was easy, but I had to stay in the shop. Gosh I loved it *day dreaming* That was how my hair pretty much stayed. I tried to to grow it out, got frustrated, cut it again. blah blah blah. Some weaves here and there. Man I really loved my short cuts, if only I wasn't in the shop every two weeks spending $80/month...

Ok so I'm going to be honest about how my longing for natural hair started. First I LOVE Locs. I love them so much and I would keep seeing women with them and loving it. I knew that's what I wanted at some point in my life. lol. I even set a time period. Somewhere after I'm married and have my first child. I figure at that point I'll be tired of doing my hair. lol. Anywho. I was getting ready to go out and I hated how my hair held up in the club... because it truly didn't. Not matter what I did, my hair looked a hot mess. So while I was walking through downtown Decatur, GA I saw a wig and I loved it! And thus it began.





(NYE 2007)

I would wear wigs all the time. I stayed in the beauty supply trying to find a new style, color, whatever. As I wore the wigs, I cut my hair. Every few weeks, I would cut more off in order to get to where the perm was all gone. Looking at mane and chic's blog this totally could relate to relationships. Slowly but surely I was pulling away and cutting off more and more as time went by. I knew I wanted something healthier than what I had... I knew I wanted to get rid of the harsh treatment... I had my eye on the future.

Once my hair grew too much for wigs, I decided to work with some natural products. I ordered Carol's Daughter. Liked it ok, but there was something about it.

I did my hair in natural twists and wore that for quite some time. Then FINALLY... I let it all hang out. I went to my stylist and had her do a semi-BC (big chop) and color it. In hindsight I should have let her cut off any ounce of perm she saw. Hair generally acts better when it's all one thing. Either permed or natural... when you have a mix you have to be careful. So after the color and chop I pressed on.


(April 2008)

It took some getting used to, but I loved it! I did a lot of coiling. With my finger and with a comb. This is coiling. I did do twist outs and bantu knots. I think of all the natural styles the knots are my favorite. They are somewhat easy, and I love the curls I get.


(Nov 2008)


OH! Let me not forget. A friend of mine told me about titanium flat irons and hooked me up one time. **sidebar: I was told to put saran wrap on your hair to make it flowy and all nice... well my genius decided to saran wrap my hair on Friday night.. Sabbath I woke up with nicely moist frazzled hair... I was so done. Now I try new styles on Thursdays.** Ok so yes. She flat ironed it and it was PHENOMENAL. It moved better than any perm had ever moved. One little boy asked me why his mom's hair didn't move like mine. I was so excited. Until I tried to go back to my curls.





The flatness (Thanksgiving 2008)

I did a lot of knots when I realized my hair wasn't going back. Then I went back to twists for a rest and used regular Kanekalon and curled the ends. I had to let my hair grow back and let my hair rest a little. I loved that... but of course that got old after time. :) The edges would NOT go back and I was not happy. Every time I washed it my hair was coming out. Until I had chunks of colored hair coming out. In Feb 2009 I cut all my color off. (so that simulated doing a BC in April 2008) I don't plan on ever using a titanium iron again. I had it pressed with a ceramic iron and it was great and I stuck with that.

(Sept 2009)


(Dec 2009)

Then I got a super duper weave of Indian hair in January 2010. I loved it! I generally dislike weaves, but i loved this one! It was light and airy, I could wash it and I could feel my scalp. I removed that last monday (April 12 2010) *phew*


(April 2010)

Hmm to say the adjustment was easy would be dishonest. I had my hair in twists from August until December and then pressed and weaved and pressed and weaved... then a sew-in... so i hadn't seen my natural hair since last summer on the regular. First, of course I wished my hair was as long and lovely as the weave. It wasn't. It's like when you sing at the top of your lungs with headphones on thinking you soung just like Whitney Houston. Reality hit me. Stopped the tracks. I felt so ugly. I can't lie. I LOVED having my hair and scalp back, but I leaned on that hair. I got used to it. I thought about how some guys would look at me differently, or not look at all. I thought about how I'd miss feeling hair on my back. I press on.



(Last week)


Now, done a full two-strand set for the week (I hope... more than likely i'll untwist them tomorrow). My hair is kissing my shoulders so I'm happy. It's not as long as I want it to be, but it's growing and it's healthy. :) Steady pressin. I can't explain it, but there's nothing like being natural. Nothing like it.



(Today)

2 comments:

  1. I like it lady! and your hair is truly a story! A journey and I believe we as black women really have our hair journey. so many stories to tell... Two thumbs up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Girl, lock it up! my dad has locks, my stepmom has locks (after wearing braids for like 15 yrs), and when my little sister was like 3 they locked her hair up... and they are all very happy! My little sister will never have the hair drama young black girls are subjected to and that is a beautiful thing. Even with prototypical "good hair" I struggle literally every day with my hair...I hate pressing it, but I don't necessarily feel comfortable wearing it natural, even though it's long and curly, I personally feel like I look 10X better with straigh hair...because like most young black girls I've been conditioned to believe straight is better. My hair was so long and thick as a child, and from the moment my mom loosed me to do what I wanted with my hair, I began to slowly destroy it and am left with very thin, very damaged hair (although it "looks nice" and is still long)...I've relaxed, died, and flat ironed my hair into oblivion. If my dad had his way, I would have locked mine up too...

    ReplyDelete